Your Next Smartphone May Have A Self-Healing Screen

By

CCSS NAS-5 536 Words 4-Minute Listen
Photo Credit: Pexels CC0

While smartphones continue to get increasingly sophisticated and resilient, the same cannot be said about the display screen. The Gorilla Glass cover used for most high-end cell phones tends to shatter easily, leaving owners with little choice but to pay for an expensive replacement screen or buy a new device altogether. However, this issue may soon be a thing of the past thanks to a new self-healing, Wolverine-inspired material which automatically repairs itself within 24 hours.

Dr. Chao Wang, the leading researcher of the UC Riverside team who developed the material, says, “When I was young, my idol was Wolverine from the X-Men. He could save the world, but only because he could heal himself. A self-healing material, when carved into two parts, can go back together like nothing has happened, just like our human skin. I’ve been researching making a self-healing lithium ion battery, so when you drop your cell phone, it could fix itself and last much longer.”

Testing the new polymer (Photo Credit: Wang Labs)

Cell phones with self-healing technology is not a new concept — the LG smartphone model G Flex 2, released in 2015, already has a self-healing back panel which can repair everyday scratches within minutes. However, the material is held together by hydrogen bonds that are unable to conduct electricity and hence unsuitable for display screens, given that most smartphones rely on a grid of electrodes underneath the screen. When the human finger touches the screen, a tiny electrical charge transfers to the finger to complete the circuit and tells the phone what you are trying to accomplish.

How touchscreens work (Image Credit: By Mercury13 [CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons)

To overcome the shortcoming, the UC Riverside team turned to a different kind of chemical bonding. Called ion-dipole interaction, it is a type of intermolecular force between fully charged ions and partially charged polar molecules.

Image Credit: Socratic.org

For their self-healing material, the researchers selected salt ions and a transparent polymer that can be stretched to 50 times its normal size.

To see if it worked, the scientists tore it in half. Sure enough, the dynamic bond between the ions and polymer molecules caused the torn parts to align themselves back to their original configuration within a day.

To test the material’s conductivity, the researchers created an “artificial muscle” by placing a non-conductive membrane between two layers of the newly created material. When an electric current was applied, the “artificial muscle” responded by moving, similar to how the human bicep moves upon receiving a signal from the brain.

Wang, who presented his research at the 253rd National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on April 4, says, “Ion-dipole interactions have never been used for designing a self-healing polymer, but it turns out that they’re particularly suitable for ionic conductors.”

Photo Credit: Wang Labs

The team now plans to work on improving the properties of the polymer so that is it durable even when exposed to harsh external conditions such as high humidity. According to Wang, previous self-healing polymers have not held up well when exposed to moisture, and therefore, not been useful for real-world applications. The optimistic researcher believes that self-healing cell phone screens will be a reality within just three years! We sure hope he is right!

Resources: acs.org, businessinsider.com

Cite Article
904 Comments
  • 0_sulon2
    0_sulon2Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 3:34 pm
    my parents said they are going to get me a flip phone. AN OLD ONE... ...unless i get a phone when i'm 18
    • kiarathequeen
      kiarathequeenSunday, August 9, 2020 at 4:45 pm
      Ya my parents say they will give me a phone when I am 13 or 12
      • 29zabraham
        29zabrahamThursday, July 30, 2020 at 5:38 pm
        I want a phone like that
        • ceebee
          ceebeeWednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:04 am
          Woah cool!🤩😮
          • reetfortnite
            reetfortniteThursday, June 25, 2020 at 1:23 pm
            At least I have a phone :)
            • animereina2020
              animereina2020Friday, May 8, 2020 at 4:38 pm
              I wish that I can have a phone... I mean... Come on parents! I am 13 after all. Ain't I responsible? I wish my parents would let me have a phone...😐
              • lulu08
                lulu08Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 3:54 pm
                So cool!😮
                • lpsbrooklyn11
                  lpsbrooklyn11Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 6:35 pm
                  I wish I had a phone......😐
                  • actorboy456
                    actorboy456Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 8:33 am
                    My mom says her.and my daddy are gonna buy me.a.phone when I get my drivers license but I am planning on buying my own ☎ before then And I have told them that Follow me @actorboy456
                    • fate34
                      fate34Friday, January 10, 2020 at 7:33 am
                      Me too, my mom won't let me have a smart phone until I'm 18 but I'm aloud to have a blackberry mobile phone when I can pay for it👌
                      • animereina2020
                        animereina2020Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 8:39 am
                        My parents say that I will never ever have a phone, only if I earn the money for it😯 But I think of it as a good chance to prove that I can be responsible 😊
                        • little_demon727
                          little_demon727Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 4:41 pm
                          agreed my mom says 18 but I can change her mind (hopefully) :)
                          • lpsbrooklyn11