Meet Marvel's New Superheroes — Nurses!
Listen to Article
Over the years, Marvel has enthralled fans with heart-stopping tales of superheroes saving the world from devastation. However, the graphic novel unveiled on December 3, 2020, is the most exciting one yet. Entitled, The Vitals: True Nurse Stories, it depicts factual accounts from the world's real-life superheroes — nurses who risk their lives daily to save strangers from the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.
The brilliant idea of creating a comic book to honor the brave and selfless hospital workers was first suggested at an Allegheny Health Network (AHN) and Highmark Health (HH) marketing meeting a few months ago. To help them realize the vision, AHN senior marketing strategist Lisa Huckestein approached Marvel. To her delight, the entertainment company loved the idea and asked the hospital to present them with some COVID-19-related experiences from the nurses.
The comic book's three stories, selected by Marvel writer Sean Ryan, are based on eight nurses' experiences at AHN’s 13 hospital facilities in Western Pennsylvania. One depicts the extent the hospital staff goes through to save a patient who is struggling to breathe. The second is about nurses assisting isolated COVID-19 patients to stay connected with their loved ones through technology, while the last one shows the pandemic's impact on nurses' personal lives.
“At Marvel, we tell stories about heroes every day. But this story is special. It tells a story about our everyday heroes—the nurses and healthcare professionals working tirelessly and courageously to save lives,” said Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Entertainment. “Along with AHN, we are honored to help tell these stories, which we dedicate to the real heroes who are saving the world.”
The heartwarming comic book, which was distributed to all AHN nurses, along with boxes of candy, on Thursday, December 3, 2020, is also available online at Marvel.com. The entertainment company also released a tear-jerking video that shows the reactions of the featured nurses' families reading the comic book for the first time.
“Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been in awe of the courage and resourcefulness of our nurses, who put their own health at risk to care for these vulnerable patients,” said AHN chief nurse executive Claire Zangerle in a statement. “We are so proud of them, and we want to make sure they know how much we appreciate their exceptional work. We hope that in seeing themselves as real Marvel Comics Super Heroes, they can take a moment to look back in pride on their exceptional work and compassion during an exceptionally difficult time for our communities.”
Marvel and AHN hope that people worldwide will share the comic book with friends and family via social media, and raise awareness of these extraordinary human beings. Be sure to thank the doctors, nurses, and the numerous other real-life superheroes who are working tirelessly to keep your community safe and healthy during these unprecedented times.
Resources: Marvel.com, ahn.org
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- supernak2011about 2 yearsthe heroes we need are here already
- prinecesspennyabout 2 yearsTHE REAL HEROS ARE NURSES!
- wolfy_blueabout 2 yearsNot all heros wear capes. 💪💕
- milktheclock123about 2 yearsbro that is so cool stop covid 19 pls and thank you
- msmarvelaar6about 2 yearsthank you all Health care workers!!!!
- greenhahaha10about 2 yearsI read through a ton of the comments and a lot of them made cry a little. Thanks to all nurses!!!!! <3 <3 <3
- mercury_dustover 2 yearsIt's amazing how these people put their lives on the line every single day just to help others🥺, my mom's friend is a nurse, so she works with COVID-19 patients every day. We should try and help support these wonderful, amazing, brave people by staying home and wearing masks so more of us don't get sick😷. Stay safe, and wear your masks guys🤗!
- lizahover 2 yearsI feel the same way because my mom works at the hospital.😢
- gold3nglareover 2 yearssuperhero [ˈso͞opərˌhirō] NOUN- A mother. A nurse. A fireman. A teacher. A good friend. Even you neighbor. The people who help you everyday. (I would have added police officers but lately only bad officers have been around so...) Stay safe! Wear a mask! Social distance! We're all in this together.
- cutewolfgirlover 2 yearsHero When you think. Of the definition of it I think nurses.Like people are saying these people are risking their lives for the sake of a stranger. And to those who think that because of covid, they have it bad cause they can't see there family members and friends, think of these nurses who are willing to put there video chats or visits on the line to save a life😍 is like woah so when you think about yourself and how you have it bad think of the nurses mabye make some mask if your an umployed designer of if you cook maybe make some food for them of make stuff