A New Way To Learn About The Solar System
Listen to Article
"My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants” - This is not the title of a new fiction story, but rather a nnemonic (helps you remember), created by 4th-Grader Maryn Smith, winner of the National Geographic "Planet Contest".
The contest was sponsored in response to the fact that scientists now believe there are eleven planets in our solar system instead to the original nine. The two new ones, Ceres and Erin, as well as Pluto, are now considered "dwarf" planets.
Maryn's entire 4th grade class at Riverview Elementary School in Great Falls, Montana decided to enter the contest. Other entries from her class were "My Very Extraordinary Mother Carrie Just Served Us Nine Pizzas Each " and "My Very Extraordinary Mother Can Jog Superly Under Nasty Particular Elves".
Mary says the inspiration for her slogan - "My (Mercury) very (VENUS) exciting (EARTH) magic (MARS) carpet (CERES) just (JUPITER) sailed (SATURN) under (URANUS) nine (NEPTUNE) palace (PLUTO) elephants (ERIS)" - came from the story "Aladdin".
Mary's reward for her efforts includes a tote bag filled with books, a National Geographic tee shirt and hat, toys and other merchandise. Also, her name and the slogan will be featured in a new National Geographic book about the planets entitled - "11 Planets, A New View of the Solar System" by David Aguilar. And that's not all - there are rumors that it will also be recorded into a song by American singer, songwriter and actress, Lisa Loeb.
Of course, the icing on the cake is that kids all across America and even the world will be memorizing her catchy slogan!
sources: Nationalgeographic.com, examiner.com
- ajg16over 4 yearsHuh when I was in 5th grade my science teacher taught me "My very excited mother just serves us nine pizzas" but now because Pluto isn't a planet (HATERS) I taught my younger bro & sis "My very excited mother just served us noodles" XD
- foodreviewzover 4 yearsCeres, Pluto, are not planets for sure! But thats cool, the story, because its like grapes. They have has 2 sides to every story. They're juicy. Please follow me and I'll follow you back. I compare food to a topic at least every week. Thank you!
- Whoopsalmost 5 yearsCeres and Pluto are NOT PLANETS
- apple97about 5 yearsawesome!
- jtabout 6 yearscool
- Fsu 8over 6 yearsNo gators around her
- gator28over 6 yearsthis is cool
- Smart dudeover 7 yearsMaby in ten hundred years there will be more planets far away from here now
- bunnytechover 7 yearsThere are. They just aren't discovered yet.
- Eliasabout 8 yearsPluto must be sad Im sad
- Sanyaalmost 9 yearswow i never knew there was another way to remember the solar system