Video Of The Week - African Singers Use Music To Raise Ebola Awareness

By

CCSS NCSS-9

Though the initial panic caused by Ebola appears to have subsided, the disease is still alive and well in the West African countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. As of December 3rd, the dreadful ailment has infected 15,000 people and claimed 6,202 lives. The frustrating part for experts is that most of these deaths could have been avoided had the locals been aware of the necessary precautions.

In order to educate them, some of Africa's best-known musicians have come together with a song that outlines what the people can do to protect themselves. Entitled "Africa Stop Ebola", the catchy melody was written by the singers and Carlos Chirinos, a researcher who specializes in the intersections of music, communications and human development. Recorded in French, the commonly spoken language in West Africa, as well as a number of indigenous languages, it conveys the importance of trusting doctors, not touching people that are infected or have died from Ebola, and practicing proper sanitation and hygiene routines.

Chirinos hopes the song will help rebuild people's trust in their respective country's health services as well as dispel the myth that the disease can be cured by local healers. In addition to educating them, the song is also meant to reassure the listeners and given them hope that Ebola can be overcome.

Resources: theguardian.com. BBC.co.uk

Cite Article
Vocabulary List
ailmentconveysdispelfrustratingindigenousintersectionsmelodymythprecautionsrespectivesubsided
Geography
535 Comments
  • CAT GIRLSaturday, October 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm
    I ❤ it !
    • riley3 Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:02 am
      this is amazing! wow i love the info and song
      • hunobypadamymi
        hunobypadamymiMonday, March 4, 2019 at 9:47 am
        this vocabulary word search was a good educational game so now people know what people in africa's vocabulary is or how they use it their.
        • AnonymooseWednesday, February 20, 2019 at 8:21 am
          For everyone saying that they want to help africa, a good way to start would be learn their languages, and contribute to their economy. Also, Good luck on achieving your charitable goal of helping them
          • HIIIII peepssssMonday, February 4, 2019 at 11:46 am
            GOOD SONG LET ME REPHRASE I LOVE THIS SONG
            • JazmineTuesday, January 22, 2019 at 11:24 am
              I love this because I listen to this song all the time because It's so good.
              • JazmineThursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:16 am
                I love this song!!! 😻😻😻😻
                • JazmineTuesday, January 8, 2019 at 11:34 am
                  I like this song because It wants me when I grow up to help the people who need help and that Is a nice thing to do.
                  • JazmineMonday, December 10, 2018 at 10:05 am
                    I love this song so much, that I listen to the song all the time and I'm from Africa and I get what their saying because I kinda know what their saying and their talking about doctors and how they should be helping them so they can stay alive and have a happy life and not to die and have a bad life In the ground and be unhappy.
                    • bulldogMonday, November 19, 2018 at 11:20 am